We focused on documenting the app and making it ready for easy improvements. Here's what we accomplished:
- Setup a private bitbucket git repository where we could share code changes
- Created a setup README file explaining how to use MAMP to quickly create a development environment that mimics what runs on Thread's application server (this is what took up most of the time as we had to learn the intricacies of CodeIgniter)
- Made minor changes to CodeIgniter settings so the app could be run locally in a development mode
- Added a Neighborhood field to the application UI and underlying MySQL table so that volunteers can document the locations where they work.
The next steps include:
- Connecting Thread's data analyst with the Salesforce experts (should happen later this week)
- Adding a simple leaderboard that shows the number of interactions per volunteer.
- Deploying our changes to Thread's staging server and rehearsing the database migration
- Deploying to the production application server
- Drafting suggestions for long-term upgrades and maintenance to avoid software rot